Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sleep?

Since Levi has been born, this is a common conversation that I get to have:
"OOOhhh how cute!!! How old is he?" , says a lady.
"____ weeks," I answer.
"Oh wow! Is he a good sleeper?"....
The answer used to be, Yes he is!! But now, times have changed and I am looking for some advice and help from anybody who has any ideas. It all started when he got a little virus one week and then the next week we went on vacation. When he was sick, he started napping only 30-45 minutes. Before he would sleep at least an hour, but usually longer. He was also sleeping through the night at 9 weeks. On vacation he also only slept 30 minutes every nap, and sometimes even less. I thought that this was just because we were in a new place and he would get back on his schedule once we were home, but now we have been home for almost a week and a half and he is still not really napping and not sleeping through the night. I want my good sleeper back!!! Any suggestions?? Help please! He is now so overtired by the time that night comes that it takes him 2 hours to fall asleep! Come on now moms, let's hear your good ideas!! How can you resist this face?
"Help me! I need sleep!!" - Levi

3 comments:

  1. How old is he now? My first daughter was a terrible sleeper so we "Ferberized" her. It was the best thing I ever did. At the time I was sure I would scar her for life. I asked her a while ago (she's almost 20 now)if my fears came true. She just laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Tal, I hope he starts getting his sleep soon. I have no idea what "ferberizing" is, but it sounds terrifying and effective! :) Just kidding. No advice, but I'll pray for him as I go to sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ferberizing is Dr. Ferber's method of teaching them to help themselves go to or back to sleep. They have to be at least 5 months old. You go through a bedtime routine and put them down for the night awake (but sleepy). Then you let them cry for 5 minutes, go in and comfort w/o picking up then leave, wait 10 minutes, comfort and leave, wait 15 minutes, comfort and leave, repeat every 15 minutes as needed. The first night we got to the 15 minute check in, the second night was much less, the third night she went to sleep without a fuss and could get back to sleep herself during the night. She knew if I came and comforted her without picking her up, she needed to go back to sleep. I had been absolutely exhausted (it took hours to get her to sleep and she woke pretty much hourly all night and she cried anytime I put her down during the day. I tried everything including sleeping with her. After only a few nights of "ferberizing" we were on our way toward me being a better mother and wife because I finally got some rest and I finally had a happy rested baby as well.

    ReplyDelete